SCORE Lancaster Wins 2013 SCORE Chapter of the Year Award
“SCORE Lancaster is a banner chapter because its leaders and mentors are always finding ways to push the envelope as it relates to helping small businesses succeed,” said SCORE CEO Ken Yancey. “Whether it is developing new ways to mentor, offering timely, relevant workshop topics or spearheading technological improvements, this chapter constantly advances beyond the status quo towards the ideal.”
SCORE Lancaster has also had a significant impact on improving the SCORE organization as a whole.
The chapter is responsible for innovative practices including:
- Helped develop “Simple Steps to Starting Your Business” curriculum
- Pioneered the highly successful concept of business “roundtables”
- Introduced the Net Promoter Score (NPS) process now used for evaluating the effectiveness of all SCORE chapters
- Developed and implemented a very successful recruiting and Advocacy tool – the annual chapter “Open House”
- Created the leadership position of VP of Advocacy responsible for making SCORE known at all levels of government
The SCORE Chapter of the Year Award will be presented on June 21st, 2013 in Washington D.C. as part of National Small Business Week 2013.
To learn more about SCORE Lancaster, visit: www.lancaster.score.org
Second Chapter of the Year is the Greater Cincinnati SCORE #34 located in Cincinnati, OH
- Number of workshops offered increased by 34% in FY12.
- Workshop attendance increased 49% in FY12.
- Maintained a 60% Follow-On Rate with existing clients in FY12.
- Chapter NPS was 88% in FY12.
- There was a 26% increase in total services in FY12.
- Paid workshops generated $16,000 in revenue in FY12.
Perform full Form 641 reviews and conduct 1 on 1 mentor reviews to ensure quality service delivery to clients.
When appropriate, Individualized Group Counseling Sessions are held with clients where each client has access to up to 3 mentors whose skill set is specifically matched to client needs. As the client’s needs change, the mentors brought in to assist change as well.
Offer multiple free workshops like “So You Think You Want to Start Your Own Business” and numerous paid workshops on relevant content like “Using Social Media for Business Growth”, “Hands on Management in Tough Times” and “Crowdfunding”.
Maintained a Business Brief Library for 15+ years and spearheaded the introduction of these briefs to other chapters in the Southern Ohio District. Built strong relationships with the Urban League, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and 85 Broads (Organization Affiliate) to foster ongoing emphasis on diversity with clients and mentors. Established long standing relationships with the University of Cincinnati’s Center for Entrepreneurship Education & Research and the Carl H. Lindner College of Business, and Hamilton County Public Library. Selected by former Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory to serve on Small Business Advisory Board.
What people have to say about Greater Cincinnati SCORE…
“My SCORE counselors have been paramount to the success of both of my businesses, and I can honestly say that I would not be where I am today without them.”
– Candace Klein, Founder and CEO
Bad Girl Ventures, Inc. and SoMoLend, LLC, Cincinnati, OH
Do you know an outstanding volunteer or chapter who deserves to be recognized? Send your nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org.