January 20, 2014
Today, we commemorate the contribution of Martin Luther King. His commitment to radical change produced a lineage of civil rights exploration, determination and greater capacity for racial harmony. The dream of Martin Luther King (MLK) is not over and yet 50 years later the ability for racial understanding remains significant.
It is on this day we honor Martin Luther King with some of his most inspiring quotes:
- “The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.”
- “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
- “Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.”
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
- “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
- “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
- He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.