October 7, 2013
Lets step outside of the realm of just politics and think in the nexus where factors like atoms bump up against each other requiring energy having lasting effects. The irony is not lost on me as the creation of energy is relevant and connected to “Here’s How the Shutdown Will Impact U.S. Energy Innovation” where singularity can help us think beyond the condition of shutdown.
Wall Street Cheat (WSC) reports the “fact is that it’s directly impacting on America’s overall capacity to drive global energy innovation. The short-term lack of a federal government means that many of the nation’s top energy innovation institutions and laboratories must scale down their operations, or completely shut down. Basically, the longer this continues, the less the U.S. will be able to carry out cutting-edge research and produce next-generation energy technologies. ”
The dominoes are indeed relevant to business tethered to the government which is distinguished by those in business. The government shutdown effects the tethering is in development, research, grants, contracts, data and more. Further, proposed actions are n hold until time that the government is back in full force.
As a result of the shutdown:
• “The Interior Department has had to halt all permits and permit reviews for onshore and offshore oil and gas leases.
• The Bureau of Land Management has stopped developing rules for hydraulic fracturing operations on federal lands.
• The Environmental Protection Agency has had to halt its work on the recently announced regulations for controlling the greenhouse gas emissions for coal power plants.
• The Department of Energy has had to cut back on its review of LNG export applications, and may even have to stop altogether.
• The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management has stopped approving new offshore wind permits.
• The ARPA-E program, responsible for some of the greatest breakthroughs in clean energy technology, has been completely shut down.
• Research at NIST and NOAA, such as climate and weather research, nano-science, and energy science, has all been put on hold.
• Patent and Trademark Office may have to be closed after another month, preventing innovation of all kinds.”
The “shutdown is already causing lots of damage,” states WSC. Sustainability occurs from a platform of development that changes the overall environment. When there is a tear in the fabric that produces innovation or knowledge attainment sustainability is challenged. The effects are not only actionable but cast a wide net impacting research and development, as well as stunting innovation. The effect long-term in on sustainability.