August 2, 2013
Sustainable Voice News
|Dear Small Business Owner,It’s probably no surprise to you that small businesses bear a regulatory cost that is 36% higher than the cost of regulatory compliance for large businesses. As the Chairman of the House Small Business Committee, I understand that complying with federal regulations may be one of the toughest challenges that small business owners face. This January I launched “Small Biz Reg Watch” to help small business owners, like you, participate in the development of federal regulations. Not all regulations are bad, but they are piling up at a rate that can really strain the resources of small businesses.Today, I have highlighted two new proposed rules from the Obama administration: the Securities and Exchange Commission’s (SEC) regulation of how companies may publicly market private securities offerings, and the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) foreign supplier verification programs for importers of food for humans and animals. The SEC rule seeks to implement the JOBS Act, which would allow startups and other small firms to raise capital by marketing their equity offerings, while the FDA rule may have a significant impact on small food importers.
Regulators, many of whom have never run a business themselves, benefit from the insights of those who are actually working in the industry, so I encourage you to make your voice heard on these and other proposed regulations that will affect your business. In addition, I’d love to hear from you on our online interactive website “Small Biz Open Mic.” If you submit a comment to the Federal Registry, feel free to tell us about your opinion of the proposed regulations, and how it affects your company.
- SEC Ruling Creates Big Opportunities/Legal Pitfalls For Startups (prweb.com)
- World-Herald editorial: Pulling rules out of a hat (omaha.com)
- U.S. Federal Spending at Small Businesses Misses Mark. Again. (entrepreneur.com)
- Uncle Sam a tougher customer for small businesses (trib.com)
- Uncle Sam a tougher customer for small businesses (thetandd.com)
- New Report Reveals Drop in Small Business Optimism, Logix9 Offers… (prweb.com)
- Techcess Group’s 2013 Small Business Disaster Preparedness… (prweb.com)
- The government spending pie is still lopsided (Video) (examiner.com)